Nowadays, early career researchers and engineers are challenged by the need for ingenious technical expertise combined with a strong scientific understanding of fundamental materials and corrosion problems. On top of that there is invariable time pressure. It has vital importance in making a successful career to have an experienced mentor or supervisor who has knowledge about how to obtain funding (on both a national and international level), how to implement the right scientific methodology with the comprehension of how to develop personal and social skills… And yes, this is really challenging. Materials and corrosion science are a fascinating poly-faceted multidisciplinary research field, which requires early career scientists and engineers and senior experts to collaborate, share expertise and efficiently communicate in order to address current and future corrosion problems.
The Young EFC is an initiative created in 2016 by the European Federation of Corrosion (EFC), which aims to support young researchers and engineers in the field of corrosion and protection of materials. Our vision has several cornerstones, namely:
- Building a bridge between young corrosion researchers and senior experts
- Creating a network of young corrosionists
- Organising and participating in conferences, workshops and other events
- Promoting the interests of young researchers to the European Federation of Corrosion and the European Commission
- Supporting the career at an early stage
Young EFC Board
The Young EFC Board is currently comprised of the following members:
- Leonardo Bertolucci Coelho, Vrije University Brussels, Belgium
- Claudia Martinez, CorrosionRADAR, UK
- Marta Mohedano, Universidad Complutense of Madrid, Spain
- Noémie Ott, OST, Switzerland
- Can Özkan, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands
- Andressa Trentin, VTT, Finland
- Aytac Yilmaz, Ore energy, Netherlands
The previous Young EFC Board members:
- Cem Örnek, Istanbul Technical University, Turkey
- Yaiza Gonzalez-Garcia, Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands
- Michele Fedel, University of Trento, Italy
Do you want to join become a member of the Young EFC?
Please send an e-mail to youngcorrosion (at) gmail.com with your Name, Surname, Affiliation, E-mail address, Position and Country.